Algae can be controlled more easily and effectively if treated with Copper Sulphate soon after plant growth has started. Copper sulphate can result in oxygen loss for decomposition of dead algae.
(Please note this loss can cause fish suffocation also in ponds)
Initial dose for very green water: 200 – 250gr per 50m3 pool water
Preventative: 100 – 120gr per 50m3 pool water
Do not mix or use in a metal container.
Copper Sulphate is a very effective algaecide used in pools to kill and prevent all strains of algae especially black algae which is not controlled by normal levels of Chlorine.
Copper usage can, however, cause stain formation. Over time, and if over-dosed, soluble copper salts can precipitate from pool water and deposit on pool walls, turning the grout or plaster blue
Copper salts react with Chlorine to produce cupric oxide and and may cause grey/black stains on pool surfaces.
Copper-based algaecides are the most common source of copper salts for pools but Copper Sulphate is also a preventative treatment and an effective cure for many algae attacks. It’s also much cheaper than proprietary chemicals.
The recommended dose for Copper Sulphate is 3 grams per cubic metre of water (5 ounces per 10,000 US Gallons), dosed TWICE A YEAR ONLY into the skimmer, with the pump running.
The manufacturers, in their helpful product labels, often suggest that this dose should be repeated monthly but twice a year is usually sufficient because the chemical remains in the pool and is only diluted by periodic backwashing, ‘splash-out’, and rain.
If dosed monthly there will be a build-up of Copper Sulphate; and that will stain hair, nails, grout and plaster a shade of blue on your pool. So it is recommended not to overdose especially with white tiles.